Sunday, August 15, 2010

Garden Spikes - Tutorial by Amy Ellis

Fandango by Kate Spain for Moda will hit the shops very soon! I can't wait to snap some up for myself. And just in case you don't know what to make with this line, the fabulous Amy Ellis from Amy's Creative Side has created a quilt pattern just for you. And to make your life even easier, Natalia at Piece n Quilt has created kits for this quilt. (Find details at the bottom of the pattern)

If you haven't visited Amy's website before, pop on over and check it out. Amy has hosted the Blogger's Quilt Festival for 2 years in a row. A feast of eye candy for any quilter! And a brilliant way of getting to know all our fellow quilters out there all over the world.



Garden Spikes by Amy Ellis


Materials
12 print fat quarters, look for a balance of color and print.
6 solid fat quarters, I used Marine, Chocolate, Buttercup, Ochre, Prarie Green and Tomato Soup
5/8 yd binding fabric
4 yds backing fabric


Press your fabrics prior to cutting, use starch to press out stubborn creases, and a crisp cut.
From each print fat quarter, cut:
1 - 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" square
1 - 8 1/2" x 12 1/2" rectangle
1 - 2 1/2" x 12 1/2" rectangle


From each solid fat quarter, cut:
1 - 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" square
2 - 2 1/2" x 22" rectangles


To assemble blocks, using 1/4" seams, sew together two sets of six solid strips in a pleasing arrangement. Press seams open as you work.


You can see that my sets aren't identical, put them together as you wish.


Then crosscut into 12 - 2 1/2" stripsets.


Insert the solid strips into the blocks, pin, sew and press your blocks to complete!


Layout your sewn blocks with the 12 1/2" blocks cut earlier. Look for balance in color and print as you decide where each block goes. I usually just throw them all down on the floor then look for problem areas, and adjust as needed.

Sew your blocks into rows, press seams in opposite directions, and sew your rows together to complete.


To achieve the simple straight lines of quilting, I used my walking foot and low tack, painters tape.

(Click here for a tutorial on straight line quilting.)

Quilt, bind and enjoy your new quilt! I can't wait to see yours!

(Click here and here for tutorials on how to bind your quilts.)


To make this quilt - email Natalia at customercare@piecenquilt.com to reserve a kit for the quilt top and binding. (cost will be $43.00) You will be notified as soon as the fabric has arrived at Piece N Quilt!

14 comments:

  1. Looks really similar to Weeks Ringle's "Deep Breath" pattern -- creative minds apparently think alike, too. :o) http://craftnectar.com/2010/07/29/wheezy-rider-and-the-deep-breath-quilt-pattern/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Amy! Thanks for the awesome free tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! What a gorgeous quilt Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the brite colors that are used in the quilts you show on face book.I see some quilts made with dull colors.And they look so drab.I am going to make the Verna's Bedspread.I love quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilt for fat quarters!! I have a bundle of 12, and this might be perfect for it with some solids. I love this fabric line, too, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LIKE , LIKE , LIKE IT !!! what size is it ? ( sorry if I missed it somewhere here .... ) Another great creation by AMY ! Now I know what the Fandango teaser pictures were ... WOW !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot that part Mickey! It's 60x72" my favorite size throw :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like it when patterns include cutting layouts for the fat quarters! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely tutorial Amy, I can't wait to have a go at one of these :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great design and tutorial...thanks for taking the time to do this, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love it Amy! It's so beautiful... the mix-in of solids is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You select the best topic for writing. You deliver tutorial related to garden spikes. Thank you for sharing with us. Further, The cabinet refinishing Manassas deliver the best and quality work under the professional team.

    ReplyDelete