Sunday, August 29, 2010

Community - The Quilt Project

Around this time last year and thanks to Kirsty from Kootoyoo, The Quilt Project was born.

The Quilt Project is an online community friendship quilt made up of 66 squares. The participants had to create an original design, in any medium, as long as it was in red.

Once the squares were finished they were sent back to Melbourne, photographed and assembled into a quilt, which was then displayed for one night only.
Photo courtesy of Michelle

Kirsty tells us what inspired her to organise The Quilt Project.

'I have co-ordinated 3 community based friendship quilts and loved so much the sense of belonging & the unity & the thought of many hands working together to make one "something".

I've been stewing on The Quilt Project for a good long time now. Every time I've looked at my Great Grandmother's Redwork quilt I've thought about it more & more. I feel a connection with those women. Women who made time to stitch these intricate designs in only red just to share a piece of themselves with someone else. It gives me goosebumps.

I'm the only person who really gets to enjoy my piece of redwork history & so I thought I'd like to have a go at organising a contemporary redwork piece that once complete will be published online so that everyone can enjoy it.
'
Photo courtesy of Kirsty.

The best way to view the quilt is here. If I were you, I would grab a cuppa before you get started...there are a lot of inspiring blocks to see.

Lara's contribution.

We would love to here about any inspiring community events. If you know of any, please drop us a note at fatquarterly@googlemail.com

1 comment:

  1. Air Duct Cleaning Services Aurora provides a variety of services to help you with your home.

    - Heating and cooling systems

    - Furnace installation, repair, and cleaning

    - Furnace tune up and inspection - Chimney sweep and tune up

    ReplyDelete