Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Featured Sponsor - FabricWorm

Cynthia from FabricWorm.com has dropped in to chat to us today. Welcome Cynthia :)

Fabricworm sells modern cotton fabric for quilting and many other craft items. Cynthia carries one of the largest selections of Japanese imported fabrics on the World Wide Web.
Her fabulous custom bundles are just the 'inspiration springboard' you need to launch yourself into an array of colourful quilts and projects.


FQ:Tell us a little about how you came to open the virtual doors of your online store, Fabricworm ?

FW:I first decided to sell fabric on Etsy, after I had attempted to sell a few handmade items, and just wasn't feeling it really pan out, but really wanted to start a small home business, where I could still spend time at home with my 2 little boys. After selling on Etsy for about 8 or 9 months, I decided it would be a good idea to start my own website. That's when I hired a web designer and we opened Fabricworm.com

FQ: How do you balance being a mum and running a busy fabric store?

FW: It's tough to balance both I must admit. When things were really busy and I still hadn't hired any one to help, I would wake up in the middle of the night around 1 or 2am and cut and pack orders for a couple of hours while everyone was sleeping. There was a time there where I worked about 80 hours a week, and it just got to be too much. That's when I finally hired some help.

FQ: Do you have a team of fabricworms helping you out?

FW: Absolutely. An amazing team at that. We have 2 full time employees and 3 part time employees. They are definitely the engine that runs the vehicle. We couldn't do it without them. And it's great because since we opened our brick and mortar store in Paso Robles, Ca, Birch Fabrics, they are able to work in a nice shop at the same time as fulfilling orders. We even have a sewing studio up stairs, where we often sew on lunch breaks or after work. The girls (Andrea, Bre, Arleen, Belin and Melanie) and I have all really bonded around are love for all things crafty!

(image courtesy of Fabricworm.com)

FQ: What are the best bits about running your own fabric store?

FW: I'd have to say one of the best things is the friendships I've made. Not only with my employees, but with the online community as well. I've met so many interesting, inspiring people, I just couldn't ask for a better occupation. Not to mention I have access to the most amazing fabrics in the world. At least in my opinion!

(image courtesy of Fabricworm.com)

FQ: How do you select which lines to stock?

FW: I limit myself to buying only the fabrics that I truly love. If I would sew with it, then I'll buy it for my customers. I really believe that this is what sets me apart from the rest. And it seems that what I love, others do as well, and they appreciate that I don't over crowd my site, with things that aren't particularly awesome!


FQ: Do you have a favourite designer?

FW: Of course, I always talk about it in interviews, so forgive me if I'm being annoyingly repetitive, but my all time favorite designer is Etsuko Furuya, her design company is called "Echino" and she designs exclusively for Kokka Japan. She's incredible. Her use of pattern is like no one else, and she inspires me every day.

(image courtesy of Fabricworm.com)

FQ: Do you find time to get creative and sew for yourself?

FW: Not as much as I'd like to, but I'm trying to put at least 1-2 hours on the machine per week. Sometimes it doesn't happen, but I'm trying.

FQ: Are you living your dream?

FW: Absolutely. It seems like I sort of stumbled upon it. But I can't imagine doing anything else now. Especially now that my husband, Jason and I are designing are own lines of fabric, for our organic label Birch Fabrics, this if absolutely a dream realized for both of us.

(image courtesy of Birch Fabrics)

You can see the full range of fresh, modern, funky fabrics at Cynthia & Jason's organic fabric label Birch Fabrics & keep apprised of updates on their blog.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions today Cynthia.

You can also keep up to date with Fabricworm news on the Fabricworm blog

5 comments:

  1. Loved meeting you. and I LOVE the Birch Fabrics shown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the wonderful interview with Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the interview. You've inspired me to go and search Echino fabrics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this nice interview with fabricworm.

    ReplyDelete