Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wish Upon A Quilt

Cathy from 'Wish Upon a Quilt' took some time out today to chat with us about her creative life.

FQ: Tell us a little bit about how you came to have a fabric store?

I have always loved fabric and sewing. A few years ago, while I was crazy busy traveling with my corporate job, I tried to take some time out of each trip to visit a local quilt shop. At the time, these visits felt like my only respite from a hectic life. I noticed that the people working in these stores seemed so relaxed and happy. Something I was definitely not at the time. 

The fabric was definitely calling me, so I started taking a small cutting mat and fabric with me on my trips and cut out a king size quilt a little bit at a time. I spent my time at home sewing and realized how relaxed I was while I was sewing. I couldn’t get enough!


In 2007, I decided that I needed to do something different. As I was pondering this one day, I finally made it out to a local quilt shop, Wish Upon A Quilt. I walked in the door and was shocked that it had ALL of the fabrics that I loved! I was so impressed that I asked to speak to the owner to tell her how much I loved her store. I was told that she was allergic to the fabric and didn’t come into the store. Bummer! The thought clicked “opportunity” and I sent an email to see if she was interested in selling the store. She was! I couldn’t believe my luck –we struck a deal and the rest is history. 
While the store was primarily an online store at the time, we were open to the public on a very limited basis. That has changed over the past couple of years, we are now a full service quilt shop both online and store front. I found that I really wanted to create a place for people to come in, relax and have fun. Just like I did on all those business trips!


Although I have been quilting for 11 years, I do not get much time these days to work on my own projects. I’m usually sewing samples for the store, and I’m not complaining! I get to work with the latest fabrics and hope to inspire people with the work I do.


FQ: What does a normal day entail?

Well, since I’m a go with the flow kind of person, I’m not sure I have a “normal” day. I work in the store some days where I get to see customers and gorgeous quilts! I would do this all of the time if I could - this is my favorite part of the business. However, if I was in the store all of the time, the behind the scenes would not be done and we would not have much in the store!

I have a fantastic staff so I’m in the store a couple of days a week and spend the balance of the time at my home office. I order fabric, plan promotions, write the newsletter, research all of the new fabrics coming out and the worst part – pay the bills.


FQ: What are the best parts about running the store? 

The people! Both customers and staff are so energizing for me. I love to be in the store.


6 comments:

  1. Wish that store was near me. It sounds like really friendly place to shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The WUAQ e-newsletter is well worth your time as a subscription. I enjoy reading it each week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the store! I'm there at least once a week! Easily my favorite store in town. Love ya Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can honestly say I shopped there well before I worked there! It's a great place to be AND a great place to work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story of how Cathy came to own the shop. It was meant to be. It sounds like a wonderful shop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave you a sunshine award on my blog today. Check it out: http://peasinapod.typepad.com/peas-in-a-pod/2010/10/sunshine-award.html. Thanks for all you do! I appreciate your blog-friendship!

    ReplyDelete